Happy Sunday Morning, lovely humans.
It’s a slow start in my house today. Last night we met up with a friend for drinks at a wine bar, where we shared some charcuterie and stayed up past midnight (which, sadly, if you know me, is quite unheard of). So today, I’m writing this with a big cup of fresh coffee at my side, and a slight buzzing in my head.
I am so excited to share this Fig + Cherry Maple Mascarpone Tart with you! Out of everything I cooked up last week, this one was hands down the best. The crust tastes like a crisp oatmeal cookie, and the filling is sweet, but tart, and ever so creamy.
I am also obsessed with fresh figs. And cherries. Both are gorgeous, and love to be in front of the camera. I mean look at those reds and purples!
Figs: This is probably not a shock to you, but figs are very high in fibre, as well as minerals magnesium, calcium and potassium. Studies on figs show that they are high in antioxidants and flavanoids, including catechins, and anthocyanins. Antioxidants help to prevent free radical damage in the body, giving them anti-cancer and anti-aging properties.
This Fig + Cherry Maple Mascarpone Tart is definitely a winner. I will say this though: the crust, being cookie-like as it is (and delicious, might I add) is a pain to cut. I found the easiest way to eat it was just to pick up my slice and bite in, but I also ate it with a fork (I just had to use a little muscle to break off pieces). You could try baking the crust for less time (like 12 minutes) or even going no-bake (like this oat crust) and just letting it set in the freezer. Do I give too many options for my recipes? I feel like because I love to deviate from all the recipes I find on other blogs, other people must love that too.
On a side note: can you guys believe it’s almost September?! Like what? How? I completely missed this summer. No beach, no shorts, no cute summer dresses. It’s been so cold and rainy these last few months. Ah, well: bring on the scarves and red lipstick, right?
Hopefully this Fig + Cherry Maple Mascarpone Tart will brighten up even the gloomiest of days!
Happy weekend xx
- 500g mascarpone
- 6 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 6 tbsp coconut oil
- pinch of salt
- 6-8 fresh figs, halved
- 1/2 cup cherries, halved and pitted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup pistachios, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- For the filling: in a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Set aside in the fridge.
- For the crust: in a small saucepan, melt together the coconut sugar and coconut oil. Combine oats, coconut sugar mixture and salt into a food processor and pulse until crumbly and the mixture sticks together.
- Press the crust mixture into a round tart pan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden. Allow to cool and set.
- Remove the crust from the tart pan, and pour in the marscarpone mixture, using an offset spatula to smooth it out. Top with figs, cherries, maple syrup and pistachios.